ULTRA CRISPY SMASHED POTATOES

I haven’t even been in Japan for 24 hours yet, and already had some pretty impressive Travel Fails. It all started back in Sydney, when I was bragging about how light my suitcase was. “It’s because I’m an efficient packer,”, I said smugly, multiple times.

As we strode through the airport to the check in counter, I marvelled at the luxury of moving so freely when I’m usually weighed down by multiple bags.

I’m still astounded how far through the airport I got before it dawned on me. “OMG”, I said, my face draining. “I LEFT MY SUITCASE ON THE SIDEWALK!!” I yelled as I sprinted back across the airport, out to where the Uber dropped us, relieved beyond words to see my suitcase was still there with a nearby security guard eyeing the unattended suitcase suspiciously – and rightfully so!

Travel Fail # 2 was even more impressive. It may have involved me leaving my ski bag on the luggage carousel at Tokyo airport. It may have also involved me not realising until the next day, when we were literally just about to board the bullet train to the snow. It may have involved everyone else going ahead to the snow without me while I went aaaaalll the way back to the airport to fetch my ski boots.


Travel Fail #3 was not so much epic as it was embarrassing because it occurred in a public environment. In the fully booked express train back to the airport, my suitcase with its super wheels that “roll oh-so-smoothly, I love this suitcase!”, took it upon itself to roll all the way down the carriage as the train accelerated. Then me chasing after it, except the strap of my handbag got caught on an armrest, bringing me to an abrupt halt.

Ingredients
700 g / 1.4 lb small potatoes (Note 1)
50 g / 3 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Finely chopped parsley , optional garnish

Instructions

Bring a pot of water to the boil. Cook potatoes until soft - small ones should take around 20 to 25 minutes, large ones might take 30 minutes. It's ok if the skin splits. Alternatively, steam or microwave them.
Preheat oven to 180C/350F (standard) or 160C/320F (fan / convection).
Drain the potatoes and let them dry in the colander for 5 minutes or so.
Place on the tray then use a large fork or potato masher to squish them, keeping them in one piece. Thin = crisper. More nubbly surface = better crunch!

Leave on the tray to steam dry for 5 minutes or so - makes them crispier!

Drizzle with butter, then just a bit of olive oil (about 1/4 tsp on each). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake for 40 minutes or until deep golden and crispy. Do not flip!
Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley if desired.

Recipe Notes

1. I've used a variety of potatoes over the years and this works great with all types, including baby potatoes. High starch potatoes will yield a fluffier inside, whereas waxy potatoes are a bit less fluffy but are sort of creamy. You'll love both!

You can make these with smaller or medium potatoes. Small ones - size of a golf ball or smaller - will come out crisper (like finger food, you can pick them up), whereas larger ones have the same crispiness on the surface but you get more fluffy potato on the inside because they don't get squished as thinly. I like them both ways!

2. Flavourings: If you add garlic or dried herbs into the butter, it has a tendency to burn so you end up with black bits and they can be bitter. If you're really keen for garlic flavour, use the side of your knife to smash 2 cloves so they burst open. Place in small saucepan with butter and melt, then leave to infuse with garlic flavour. Discard cloves and proceed with recipe.

For herbs, add a generous amount (dried or fresh) into the pot of boiling water so the potatoes get infused with herb flavour. Discard herbs and proceed with recipe.

3. Nutrition per potato, assuming 12 potatoes.

Thanks done share recipes to : https://www.recipetineats.com/crispy-smashed-potatoes/

Iklan Atas Artikel

iklan 3

iklan4

Iklan Bawah Artikel